Terms and Conditions of Membership
This is an Agreement between You, the Member, and The People’s Orchestra, a charity registered in England and Wales (registration number 1151321), whose registered office is at West Bromwich Town Hall B70 8AY. By following the joining process at our website (www.thepeoplesorchestra.com or www.thepeoplesshowchoir.com) or completing the application form to become a member, you are accepting the terms and conditions in this Membership Agreement. You should only join if you are willing to accept them.
The People’s Orchestra Ensembles are defined as any group or project run by The People’s Orchestra, including, but not limited to, The People’s Show Choir, The Rusty Players Orchestra, youth initiatives and Commonwealth Community Ensembles.
- This Membership Agreement commences once you have accepted the terms during the online joining process, or on receipt and acknowledgement of a completed membership application form. By accepting these terms, you are agreeing to pay any applicable fees which are shown at the start of the joining process and again before confirming your payment instruction.
- By becoming a member you consent to receiving communications relating to your membership, events, shows and opportunities and information. A copy of our GDPR statement is available at the end of this document.
- The harmonies, concepts and resources used in The People’s Orchestra Ensembles are owned by The People’s Orchestra. In taking part in any rehearsal, performance, workshop or event it is agreed that any use of resources, techniques and ideas will not be used, amended, copied or replicated at any other event, or to any group or in any venue. If found to be used, legal action will ensue against the individual.
- Rehearsals will run weekly during term time and a full rehearsal schedule will be issued to members prior to the start of the term. Occasionally a rehearsal may be cancelled due to staff illness, weather or other unforeseen circumstances. We will always endeavour to give as much notice as possible to members for any changes made to regular scheduled rehearsals.
- The People’s Orchestra ensembles may from time to time provide additional facilities such as downloads, special rehearsals and shows. These are not part of the basic Membership and are provided solely at our discretion. Those who do not have internet facilities may not be able to avail themselves of some of these additional provisions.
- Membership may vary each year and Members will be notified of any change in advance.
- Membership Bursaries may be available to students and those in difficult financial circumstances. Please contact email@example.com to discuss this further.
- By joining you agree that you are not breaching any legal obligations or conditions imposed on you by a court of law. Children can join The People’s Orchestra from age 9 and this should be a consideration when accepting these terms and conditions. A copy of our Safeguarding Policy is available here: https://thepeoplesorchestra.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/TPO-Safeguarding-Policy-and-Procedures.pdf
- By joining, it is agreed that photographic, motion picture, electronic (video) images and sound and video recordings may be taken of all the members and used for advertising and marketing purposes in relation to The People’s Show Choir and The People’s Orchestra.
- You have the right to cancel this Agreement within 14 days from the start of the Agreement without giving any reason, but you must let us know you wish to do so within the 14 day cancellation period. Please notify us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The cancellation period will expire after 14 days from the day you accept the terms.
- In case of dispute you must show that you cancelled the Agreement in accordance with the cancellation terms.
- After the 14 day cancellation period you may terminate your Membership at any time by emailing email us at email@example.com. Your Membership will end with immediate effect and fees due will be calculated to the date of cancellation. Any payments made for future sessions will be refunded on request, all such requests must be made within 6 months of terminating your membership. Any amounts still outstanding must be paid in full before the membership is terminated and in no less than 30 days. It is your responsibility to cancel any arrangements e.g. standing order / bill payments directly with your bank.
- You may interrupt your Membership for any period for exceptional reasons (to be agreed by Sarah Marshall, Director), by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You may suspend your membership for no more than 6 months, any longer may result in your membership being cancelled
- You cannot transfer this agreement to anyone else.
- The People’s Orchestra reserves the right in its absolute discretion to terminate this agreement if it is felt to be in the best interests of the Orchestra or Choir and / or any of its members for it to do so.
- You may opt out of email and SMS communications that we may send but if you do, we cannot be held responsible for any loss incurred by you not receiving relevant communications.
Your commitment and our Code of Conduct
- You agree to pay us any applicable fees as shown in the online joining process and in the emails sent to you by The People’s Orchestra Ensembles. Where a person is a member of both the Orchestra and the Choir, they only require membership of The People’s Orchestra.
- You must use downloads in the proper manner, and you must consult your Conductor if you are unsure.
- You consent to incidental inclusion in marketing photographs that we may take from time to time.
- You agree that your actions at rehearsals, events, performances, social gatherings or any other occasions with The People’s Orchestra Ensembles, will not bring either the Orchestras or the Show Choirs into disrepute. Drinking alcohol excessively, gambling, fighting, swearing, and other similar unprofessional activities are strictly prohibited and will not be tolerated. Any infringement of these rules will earn the perpetrator one warning, and if it continues, they will be asked to leave, there is no appeal to this decision.
- It is important for all members of the ensembles, the public, our staff and volunteers to be treated with respect. Abusive, aggressive or violent behaviour towards staff, volunteers, singers and players will not be tolerated under any circumstances. This includes behaviour deemed to be bullying, either physical or emotional, as well as sexual harassment or behaviour that could be construed as such, for example using inappropriate language, keeping or posting inappropriate materials online or in their performance space or accessing inappropriate materials during performances or rehearsals.
- You will undertake to meet any legal conditions or obligations placed on you by any court of law including, should the need arise, removing yourself from any rehearsal as well as, but not limited to, any event, performance or social occasion. Where The People’s Orchestra identifies that you have breached a legal obligation it reserves the right to cancel your membership and no refunds will be given in these circumstances.
- You agree to tell us immediately of any changes to your personal details including contact information.
- You are responsible for notifying us if you wish to cancel your membership.
- If you attend with a carer, your carer is entirely responsible for your care and well-being. (Please see the Carers section below).
- In making an application, Members are assumed to be medically fit to undertake the vocal and physical demands of The People’s Orchestra ensemble they join. If an individual has any doubts, please let us know prior to an application. Reasonable adjustments will be made where possible.
- You confirm that you are at least 18 years old or have the permission from an adult with parental responsibilities. Aged 9 to 13 you will be asked to provide proof of age and at all rehearsals you must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian who, at the first rehearsal, must provide written agreement of your membership and acceptance of these terms and conditions and proof of identity such as a passport or photo driving licence.
- Aged 14 to 17 you must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at your first rehearsal who must provide written agreement of your membership and acceptance of these terms and conditions and proof of identity such as a passport or photo driving licence and proof of legal guardianship if required. Following this you may attend unaccompanied however, we have no responsibility for your welfare outside of the rehearsals.
- Individual music pads must be brought to every rehearsal and concert, spares will not be provided, replacements will be given upon request and at the members’ own expense. If any original sheet music is lost the member who last had it will be charged the full price of replacing the music.
- During performances, the correct concert t-shirt for your ensemble is mandatory. The first t-shirt will be provided as part of your membership costs, but additional t-shirts will be charged at cost of purchase. Other official merchandise MUST be purchased to the member’s expense.
Health and Safety
- The People’s Orchestra and The People’s Show Choir is not responsible for damage to person or personal belongings whilst attending rehearsals and performances or before and after rehearsals and performances.
- Members are responsible for their own property and well-being whilst attending all rehearsals and performances.
- Travel arrangements are to be made by each Member to rehearsals and performances unless it is agreed otherwise.
If you are attending The People’s Orchestra Ensembles with a carer, your carer is welcome to join in with the weekly rehearsals however they will not be granted access to resources or membership benefits and will not be able to actively participate in performances or events.
Depending on your needs and the level of support you require, your carer is always entirely responsible for your care and well-being and must attend any performances, events, etc. with you to continue these responsibilities.
We welcome everyone - however we do understand that rehearsals may be more challenging for some people and wherever possible reasonable adjustments will be made to allow an individual’s membership to continue.
We expect everyone to get the same enjoyment from the sessions and in consideration of this, we ask that your carer/s comply with the following:
- To always sit with you during the rehearsal, performance, event etc.
- To actively support you and ensure their attention is always on you and not distracted with i.e. mobile devices, etc.
- To ensure you have a care plan and behaviour plan in place suited to your needs and to act on these immediately the need arises.
- To ensure they always support the choir leader to maximise your participation and enjoyment and that of others.
Where a carer fails to meet these requirements resulting in a negative effect on you, other members or the orchestra/choir, you agree that we may speak directly to your carer, family or support to endeavour to resolve the issues. Where the issues cannot be resolved and only if there is no alternative solution, we reserve the right to cancel your membership.
- The People’s Orchestra reserve the right in its absolute discretion to terminate this Agreement if it is felt to be in the best interests of the The People’s Orchestra Ensembles and/or any of its members for it to do so.
- We may terminate this Agreement and cancel your Membership with immediate effect on notice to you if you breach any of the Membership Codes of Conduct. In this event you will no longer be able to access your downloads and you will not receive a refund.
- We reserve the right to increase the price of membership. We will give you at least 1 full months’ notice of any price increase and will make it clear when the price increase will take effect and how much your membership will cost after the increase. During this notice period you reserve the right to terminate your membership in accordance with these terms and conditions. If you choose not to terminate your membership before the date the increase becomes effective, the price of your membership will be increased in accordance with our notice.
- We may communicate The People’s Orchestra ensemble related information to you by email, SMS or by social media groups e.g. Facebook.
- The People’s Orchestra Ensembles, the Conductor, the Choir Leaders, The People’s Orchestra employees and subcontractors are not liable for any loss, damage or theft of any of your property that you bring into any of our third-party venues.
- We reserve the rights to amend the Terms and Conditions at any time. We will notify you of all changes to these terms and conditions.
Performances and Shows - filming policy
- Members and their families/friends will be permitted to film performances providing the venue allows such filming and there is no additional charge to by the venue to enable this facility. (If the latter is the case your Conductor / Choir Leader will advise you before the show date so that you can advise your friends and family that no filming is permitted whatsoever.)
- Where filming is permissible the following conditions must be met and Members will need to ensure that their families/friends are aware of these conditions of filming prior to the performance:
- The filming is for personal use only and cannot be for any purpose for which ANY form of charge is made either immediately following the show or at any point in the future.
- If the film is to be posted on social media then it should not contain any content that causes distress, discomfort or any other issues for other Members. In such circumstances we will request the footage to be removed.
- Whilst filming, consideration must always be given to the enjoyment of others in the audience. There should not be continual filming of the whole show and the camera used should be sufficiently small to not cause any nuisance to others, including blocking their view of any performance. No additional camera equipment is to be used (e.g. tripods or zoom lenses).
- Immediate compliance is required should anyone be asked to stop filming by a People’s Orchestra ensemble or venue official.
- No permission will be granted to film or photograph the show for any professional or commercial purposes, except by prior arrangement and payment of a fee.
- Children - any photos/film/recording of children or vulnerable adults must be in line with our Safeguarding Policy (link).
- Only you, the person named in the online joining process, can benefit from this Agreement.
- If any of the terms of this Agreement are invalid, unenforceable or illegal the remaining terms can still be enforced.
- This Agreement is governed by the law of England and Wales.
- You should print a copy of this Agreement for future reference.
Membership Payment methods
- It is the responsibility of a Member to ensure their payment method is set up correctly and their fees are being paid/collected successfully. While we may inform you of any issues or errors that can occur from time to time, any overdue amounts will be payable in full.
- Payments via website: These payments must be set up as soon as a member completes the membership agreement and will continue annually / monthly throughout the year.
- Payment can be made by Standing Order – please contact us for our bank details
- Cheques are accepted and must be made payable to The People’s Orchestra and with the Members name and membership number on the reverse, posted to: West Bromwich Town Hall, Lodge Road B70 8AY.
- It is the responsibility of a Member to cancel their payment method with their bank on cancellation of membership.
- Membership payments contribute to the administrative running costs of the Orchestra (office / room hire, conductor fees, composition / music, staff costs). We are registered for Gift Aid and will collect this annually where a member has agreed that we can do so. https://justgiving-charity-support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204663747-Understanding-Gift-Aid