Are you a composer? Do you have experience in orchestral music and composing? Looking for a new challenge in orchestral arrangement? If the answer is YES you might be the person The People’s Orchestra are looking for.
The People’s Orchestra has an exciting opportunity for a new composer to work with their talented amateur orchestra based in West Bromwich, Birmingham. The Orchestra play 4-8 full orchestra concerts per year at West Bromwich Town Hall; some in other venues across the Midlands.
With 70+ Grade 7 musicians with good sight-reading skills and cited by the BBC as “one of the most inspirational in its field,” The People’s Orchestra have been highly successful within their first few years of being an amateur orchestra. Achievements include:
- Worked with BAFTA and Emmy award-winning composers.
- Collaborated with Mr John Koutselinis – the piece titled Beyond The Skies is currently in the DreamWorks Library.
- Premiered and recorded new compositions at the BBC’s Maida Vale Studios.
- Performed Come On Eileen as part of a flash Mob for commuters from Euston to Birmingham; worked alongside Virgin Trains and Trinity Mirror.
- Appeared in the Birmingham 2022 handover ceremony.
- Chosen as one of the 5 best and most inspiring amateur orchestras for the BBC4 show All Together Now: The Great Orchestra Challenge.
They have a unique and ever-changing instrumentation in their pieces and do not restrict numbers in sections. They are looking for a composer that would need to work with a full orchestra, plus a saxophone section with keys and optional guitar. They also have people who are used to helping arrange for their orchestra, so they can offer advice. Players within their orchestra like to be tested and will rehearse hard to master a piece.
The role will include:
- Arrangements for the orchestras unique approach to instrumentation for large concert performances during the year.
- Arranging pieces for recording.
- The option for the composer’s own composition to be performed by The People’s Orchestra.
- Working with international author and Audie Nominee David Hewson to bring to life a short-story for a live recorded performance by The People’s Orchestra.
The successful candidate will also receive mentoring on ‘community arranging for unusual instrumentation’ if required, plus a regular fixed sum of £4,000.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email Sarah Marshall (Managing Director) on email@example.com. Please include the following:
- A short biography about yourself and accomplishments.
- A paragraph about why we should choose you.
- Examples of your work in MIDI format or audio/video links.
- A score and parts in which would be played by instrumentalists.
- Details about the reach and impact of your work (preferable).
Closing Date: 30th September, 2018